Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Who's Your Daddy????

Let me start this first blog by stating, never do I claim anything I say to be “The Gospel According To John”. This is strictly my opinion and meant to be taken as that in order to provoke an adult discussion. If your conversational skills aren’t of the maturity of an adult, then refrain from commenting or just comment to my personal email. Those using profanity or derogatory adjectives will be removed. 
So every person walking this Earth has one - some call him Daddy, Dad, Pops or Father. But how many of you actually call him your father? Most men are given the ability to procreate. It’s a gift that is used for both pleasure and the benefit of giving life. In the event the two cross, (pleasure and life) life is the one that is sometimes taken for granted as a gift. Herein lies the distinction between being called a father or a daddy. It’s the actions after these two cross that makes the distinction.
My definitions are as follows: daddies are the ones who have the ability to create but not the intestinal fortitude to care for a child. A father has the same ability but seems to be able to use his natural sense of responsibility to take care of the child both financially and emotionally. Statistically, daddies are on the rise, while fathers seem to decline. Now I don’t like to be on a soapbox (actually I do like the attention), but over the past few years there are many mothers who are single - not by choice but by circumstance - while the “daddy” lives his own life in the absence of being a father.
One of the most irritating terms to me is, “my baby's daddy”. To me, it indicates that the “man” (that word is debatable for a later discussion) is a donor. Someone who participated in the pregnancy, but not in the fatherhood of the child. It takes a considerable amount more to be a father then a daddy. While most of you think I’m splitting hairs, think about it! Which term do you take more seriously? Which would you like to be called?

12 comments:

  1. I agree 100% and you are a GREAT father!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and enjoyed reading this! Good writing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with your comments, but I think of the terms "father" and "dad" in reverse. To me, anyone can FATHER a child, but it takes a DAD to raise one. Dad is a term that is closer to my heart than father.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for replying. While I see your point, my opinion is that Father is the official title of the person who takes care of their child. Daddy is the nickname. To Father a child goes beyond being able to help concieve. Thats why they call it Fathers day, not daddys day, and school forms ask for your fathers signature, not your daddys. Thats my take, and I know its the difference between "6 and a half dozen"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great blog! Being a daughter of one of the greatest FATHERS in the world, I will not accept any less from any other person who calls themselves a man. I call'em like I see'em!! Love to you!! Can't wait for the next one!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not a father yet, just a semi-uncle (nephews are way out in CA). I agree with arguments made on both sides. Title has to be taken into context of the situation and of the person.

    I do recall watching a school bus unload, and five kids that obviously do not live together, all went running to a man, each calling him daddy. This gentleman is definitely does not fit the title of Father as is described here.

    However, when you see a young child, or a grown adult, refer to their father as daddy, with big eyes filled with love and admiration; one can't help but associate daddy with father.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good thought Bernie. While it's not necessarily the title that is given the man, but the reaction he gets from the kids he is responsible for. With the hopes that he is able to live up to the billing that love and admiration deserves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with Anonymous! When my daughter says "I want my daddy" or "I miss daddy",it's super sweet! I feel like "daddy" is a term of endearment and people say "baby daddy" because people are too lazy or can't pronounce "biological father"??
    I personally had a "dad" or "pops", both not terribly warm and fuzzy terms because things were not warm and fuzzy in my house but I digress...is your point really about titles or is the real issue how triflin some men are??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like that! Yes Amy, the point of this conversation piece is more about how some men aren't responsible for their children! (Or as you put it they're triflin) Not necessarily the title or term we use. In my life and my experience, the word father means more to me. But, we all share different views and experience that lead us to how we view those terms. My kids call me Dad, or Daddy, and in some ways and instances it’s cute. But, I want to always be known as a good Father! Not necessarily a good baby daddy! Like I said at the end, I know its splitting hairs, but words have different meanings to different people. As long as we on the inside meet the expectations of what our responsibilities as Fathers are then you can call it what you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree with you John. We Don't refer to our father in heaven as daddy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Rick! I'm thankful for all the comment. I will always try to respond to both comments and emails. For those who enjoy it click the follow button to stay updated.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think of my father as daddy and I have always called him daddy! I love and respect him as my father but I'm a Daddy's Girl! I don't think it matters what we, as children, call him. We can call him Father, Daddy or Pops as long as he is there for us. All the other men are just sperm donors!!!

    ReplyDelete